My class is over and I’ve recovered from a case of bacterial bronchitis that hit me completely out of the blue around the first of May, so I went out last week and picked up a bunch of books from Jayne Ann Krentz‘s Arcane collection that I’d missed out on from our local used bookstore. You know, I haven’t “glommed” a favorite author like that in years. Plus I picked up a couple of odds and ends not connected to that collections, too. It was fun.
At least I thought it was until I started trying to sort out what I’d picked up from what I already had and from what I still needed. And it ain’t easy. For one thing I now have some multiples of the same books, a couple by Krentz and at least one by Stephanie Laurens. Either I’m not as over the bronchitis as I thought or it’s been a long time since I read some of the books.
As far as figuring out the Arcane collection, it would be a lot easier if the author’s website was more help. Oh, don’t get me wrong, she has booklists available. It’s just that in her case it’s a matter of there being way too many there to be precisely helpful. She doesn’t list what I truly need or I haven’t found it yet, anyway.
Put it this way, I was looking for a straightforward list that shows all of the Arcane books in reading order. Sounds simple, right? Well, it would be except that she wrote them under all three of her main AKAs and seems to have not thought about putting that list together. They’re numbered but they’re scattered across the AKAs as near as I can find.
So, for what it’s worth & using what I did find on her site, here’s what I’ve put together so far to make myself a workable reading list so I can collect all them that I do have into one basket. It also includes some comments on what books I have, have read, and still have to get:
- Second Sight (Quick – HC 2006 & PB 2007) – have it
- White Lies (Krentz – HC 2007 & PB 2008) – have it
- Sizzle and Burn (Krentz – HC 2008 & PB 2009)
- The Third Circle (Quick – HC 2008 & PB 2009) – have it, thought I’d already read it but it doesn’t sound familiar and I usually leave a little post-it bookmark in books I’ve read and there isn’t one, so, no, guess not
- Running Hot (Krentz – HC 2009 & PB 2010) – have it
- The Perfect Poison (Quick – HC 2009 & PB 2010) – now have two of this one and have even read one
- Fired Up (Dreamlight Trilogy #1) (Krentz – HC 2010 & PB 2011) – have it
- Burning Lamp (Dreamlight Trilogy #2) (Quick – HC 2010 & PB 2011)
- Midnight Crystal (Dreamlight Trilogy #3) (Castle – PB 2010) – thought I had it, but I think this is the Castle book I didn’t get yet because it was an Arcane book and the used bookstore here doesn’t seem to pick up many of the Castle AKA for some reason
- In Too Deep (Looking Glass Trilogy #1) (Krentz – HC 2011)
- Quicksilver (Looking Glass Trilogy #2) (Quick – HC 2011)
- Canyons of Night (Looking Glass Trilogy #3) (Castle – 2011) – Is this one out or not? Her lists say 2011 but then I can’t find it on any of the other pages.